If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Saturday 29 September 2007

DPI Representative Rings Me


Well yesterday I had a phone call from a DPI representative to talk to me about my concerns that I have posted previously on this Blog.

I was told that the racehorses are being vaccinated with a type of 'small pox' injection which will immune them from the EI strain that we have here and more, though they may have to given another 3 needles to be sure of eradication status. That way the racing industry can return to doing what they do best...Racing. And it wasn't free it was being funded by Racing Australia, you know the poor equine group!

So I asked the obvious,"If the owners are willing to do so, why can't all the horses in the red,amber,and purple zone that has not yet been infected with the disease, be vaccinated, so we can avoid the large vet bills and the complications that this disease brings with it and we to can get back into what we do best.

I was then told that then we would have to vaccinate the whole of Australia and we don't want to do that as we want to eradicate the disease.Mmmmm

So I repeated myself. Yes same question. And I was told it wouldn't work as you would have to vaccinate every year. 'But we vaccinate anyway for strangles and tetanus every year, and yes we still get those 2 diseases but mostly only the non-vaccinated horses and didn't you just say that the racehorses may only need 3 more needles as Australia would be rid of the disease? I vaccinated for it when I trained and worked for 2 years overseas.

Unfortunately the helpful representative had to go. They are trying there best. I think it was lunch time.

AND ERADICATE the disease can anyone promise me it won't escape into Australia again?? NO

Racing industry does have a BIG push you know!

How did it get in Australia in the first place?

What multi million dollar stallion for what multi million dollar mare???

And what about next time this happens????? I guess we will just shut down for another 12 months!!

Oh yes I want my Industry and my horses safe for NEXT TIME!

Summary: I am more confused, disheartened depressed and very concerned.

Mmmmmm why do think the racing industry is vaccinating for? Believe me not to hydrate the horses with some extra liquids BUT to IMMUNE their horses of the disease so they can return to business. I'm starting to think that RACING thoroughbreds are a different genetic species who morph into to non-racing thoroughbreds. And what about the other equestrian breeds?

Are you willing to vaccinate? They do overseas to eradicate.

Checkout www.equiflunet.org.uk

Tracy Stead Equestrian Services

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home