If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Friday 21 September 2007

EI at Thagoona QLD

Just an update on our situation here at Thagoona. We rang the DPI on Tues afternoon to let them know we thought we had EI. We missed a call back from them Wed afternoon but got one Thu afternoon. In the mean time I had gone to Rosewood and asked the info centre there what I should do. The response I got was to assume we had EI and treat the property as if we were quarantined. We now do the decontamination thing as we leave the property. As the house is at the front of the property and we do not drive into or past any horses, the decontamination process is not very arduous. We are doing more clothes washing, but it is really no big deal.

When I spoke to the DPI this arvo (Thu), they advised me that our place was inside the known area of infection. They told me that they were more focussed on the outer area of the infected properties and therefore would probably not send an inspector. I was then asked if I was decontaminating etc. I told them what I was doing and they were pleased that I was actually trying to stop the spread of the disease.

The people I spoke to sounded like they were getting weary of people expecting them to force those who had the infection to take some preventative measures. Like I said the other day, don't blame the DPI, they are trying to prevent the spread of the problem with a staffing level that has been reduced by the state govt.

The disease has moved from Rosewood through Thagoona and into Walloon in less than a week. I see the quarantine signs increase every day. Amberley, Willowbank and Yamanto horse owners should be getting their decontamination stuff now, not waiting for an understaffed DPI to come knocking on the door.

As a footnote, the DPI also advised that it would probably be very difficult to find a Vet prepared to come and look at my horses if they needed treatment as Vets were reluctant to visit infected properties as they too wanted to reduce the spread of EI.

We are fortunate the we only have 5 horses and all between 2.5 and 10 years old so our chance of a death is extremely low.

What we do now at our place is to continue our current biosecurity procedures and wait until the infection in the area has passed. Hopefully we are doing enough so that we personally will not contribute to the spread of the disease.

Jeff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home