If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Monday 24 September 2007

The EI impact on my business and my life

Good morning pupils and friends,
 
Here is a copy of a letter that i am forwarding to  the various useless government bodies regarding the dreaded Equine Influenza (EI) virus. I hope those of you with horses are ok.  Please buzz me if  you are not as i am slowly and unfortunately becoming a real "expert" with  this horrid disease. Be careful with colic like symptoms; as the coughing and  stress on the horses can quickily turn into fatal colic.

Chin up everyone.

Kind regards,

Catherine


The EI impact on my business and my  life.
 
It takes a lot for me to put pen to paper, because  as a horse person I have certainly learnt over the years that the Horse Industry has its share of both success and failure. You learn to accept these highs and  lows; put on a brave face and roll with the punches. Resilience is the key to  surviving in the harsh reality of the commercial Horse world; but I never  thought that my resolve would be tested in such a manner.
 
I am not only a Horse Business owner, but I am  also an Equine vet's wife and most importantly a Horse Lover.
 
As a Horse Business owner I run Tathren Stud and  Riding School. I have my finger in many pies of the Horse Industry; I am first  and foremost a Riding Instructor.  I also produce a  nationally successful show team, I stand 2 stallions at stud, I  also breed for both the racing,show and performance sectors, I own  racehorses and I also run a horse transporting service. I feel exhausted just  listing my many faceted career in the industry......  But this has all come  to a screeching halt with the dreaded EI outbreak, and I am more exhausted, and  more financially and emotionally drained than I have ever been in my  life.
 
Spring is usually the time of year when we are  welcoming new foals into the world and the 11 months of waiting has finally come to fruition. I am now dreading these ever impending births as my place is  riddled with EI, and this "Black Death" is killing more foals than being reported in the sugar-coated media reports. The fact that I am really informed on  this matter, is one of the small joys of being an Equine vet's wife....   you  really know the truth about EI.
 
Spring is usually the time when the stallions are  busy covering mares, and after a very successful year for both Gleniph Sovanity (National, East Coast and Australian Champion) and Tathren Strong Persuader (State, National and East Coast Champion).  We were looking forward to a very  busy breeding season for the boys who have lots of mares booked to them.... They  now stand very quiet and listless in their paddocks coughing and not very  interested in anything at all.
 
Spring is usually the time when we are doing the show circuit with both our pupils and  our horses; now all show plans are put on hold indefinately. This is very  upsetting and disappointing to all concerned including the various societies  that run these events, and the pupils that have been training throughout the winter for them...  not to mention the flow on effects throughout the training,  saddlery and clipping industries.
 
Spring is usually the time when we are taking both  our Thoroughbred mares and others to the picturesque Hunter Valley for breeding, but these mares now look like that they will not be covered this season, and this will mean a huge financial loss for us...  not to mention the  loss of transporting income.
 
Spring is usually the time when we enjoy watching  our racehorses run, and now an up and coming horse called Shift Boss waits at Noel Mayfield-Smiths training stables at Hawkesbury not knowing when or where his next race start will be. The racing industry is suffering huge financial losses as is constantly being reported in the media...  but the true impact is yet to be seen.
 
Spring is usually the time when we welcome many new clients to the Riding School. This is not the case and I feel most unprofessional when dealing with new lesson enquiries, as I cannot tell them  when I will be able to resume teaching again. The uncertainty that comes with this dreadful disease is truly awful; even the various government bodies do not  know the real impact of EI yet.
 
Spring now has become a time of woe. My day  now consists of taking 40 horses'  temperatures twice a day, checking the severity of their cough and the consistency of their nasal discharge,  administering copious amounts of "Bute" and recording my findings on a chart. This coupled with the ongoing feeding, watering and rugging makes for a very long and non money earning day.  I am exhausted!   Thanks to a few of my agistors and friends who are helping me with this huge task.  
 
As an Equine Vet's wife I see the other side of  this unstoppable disease. My husband is also very exhausted, as this disease not  only hits the professional horse business owner...  but it also severely hits the pleasure pony owner.  These people have never called a vet out for anything, would have no clue on how to take a temperature, and would not know what "bute" is.  My husband has now taken on the role of not only being a  vet...  but also being an educator and a psychologist to the ill informed  public.  This is where the government and media should step in, and educate the general horse owning public and should stop playing the blame game.  EI is here to stay; the DPI cannot stop it and the general public need to be educated and ready for when it strikes them.  

Vaccination is not the answer; as its efficacy is very questionable indeed.  I am constantly amused by the rumour mongering and rubbish being posted on many equine forums at the moment...  what  the public needs is cold hard facts and advice on this horrid disease.
 
Also as a vet's wife, I see the huge financial loss to the veterinary industry.  My husband's practice and every other Equine practice in Restricted areas are ONLY allowed to deal with flu cases and  emergencies....  and are banned by the government to perform any routine vet  work.  So horses that do not have the flu yet or are not in a life threatening situation cannot be seen by a vet.  Spring is usually the time of year when the  practice is run off its feet with the busy breeding season...  this is not the  case.  I feel for those vets that are in Restricted areas, but do not have the  flu yet, as they are banned from doing any work at all.  With this EI crisis in full swing it is crucial that  owners keep up to date with their accounts, so that they may have a clear conscience and feel they can call on their vet immediately to help out.   EI  is dangerous and you will need your vet!
 
As a horse lover this is were EI becomes gut  wrenching.  It is very eerie once EI hits your place. Your horses stop  whinnying at feed time or when they see you, they stop galloping  and playing in their paddocks, they stop pricking their ears, they stop  glowing with good health.  I even miss the rare (but annoying) gate rattling from some of our more impatient horses. It is a deathly silence that  falls upon your place...  and all you can hear is the never ending choking  cough as snot goes hurtling through the air.  They hang their heads between  their front legs and stand motionless.  It is so depressing. The massive financial  losses to both my husband's practice and my business is in the many tens of  thousands... but this does not even enter your head at this time.  We are both just trying to alleviate the suffering of our equine friends.  My horses are the tools of my trade but they are also a living being and have given  me many years of good service.    It is now my time to serve them and keep them  well and alive; after all they are, my best mates.
 
We will eventually emerge from this EI induced fog and then that will be the time to count losses and once again call upon that  resilience to pull through. My thoughts go out to all those affected  by this disease as I know what you are going through.  

Stay resilient, our Equine friends really need us right now.
 
Kind Regards,
Catherine Brown
Tathren Stud
www.tathren.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home