If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Friday 7 September 2007

Glynis Nunn Jumps To the Aid Of the Warwick Lockdown.

You can never be too surprised who you find at an equestrian event. Horse Deals’ roving reporter and cameraman, Blair Richardson gave us the telephone number of one the teachers helping the lockdown students “it’s the Olympian, Glynis Nunn” he said!

Glynis Nunn-Cearns was more than an Olympian, she won the first ever Olympic Heptathlon Gold Medal at the Los Angeles Games in 1984, as well as claiming Commonwealth Gold two years earlier. (The Heptathlon includes, the 100 meters hurdles, high jump, shot put, javelin, 100 and 200 meters run and long jump).

So how did Glynis find herself at Warwick?

“I was in the lockdown with my two children, as they were competing here and I was the strapper. I’m head of the Australian Track and Field Coaches Association, but I am a qualified Phys Ed and English teacher. The majority of the senior students here have laptops and their teachers are emailing work, so we are not teaching them as such, but we are there to assist if they need any help with their work. There are 18 senior students and eight primary students and they attend school from 10am to 1pm. They look after their horses ‘till about 9.30am, go to school ‘till one, have a bit of a rest and look after their horses again, so they are not just sitting around doing nothing. They manage to get quite a lot done in the time they are in school, as there is plenty of help. The eight primary students have two teachers.

Are you getting them out there running and jumping?

“I told Heart Sport about the situation here and they have sent some sporting equipment and Sport and Recreation have other equipment, so the kids are doing some activities.

How did your kids get involved with horses, are you a horsey girl?
“I was brought up on a farm outside Toowoomba and we had horses, but I never rode competitively, we used to just get on and see who was fastest to the gate. My daughter Jesse has a real love of horses and that is how we started with the competitions. My son Blake rides too, but he loves soccer and is quite and athlete; he does a bit of everything. Part of the deal of them being here to look after their horses was to do their school work, and they have been pretty good.

“I’ll be here off and on, as I have a National Conference to organise, but when I’m here, I’m here to help.

Read more about Glynis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home