If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Saturday 15 September 2007

Lets beat this virus!

I agree that we do not have much updated information available to us. The DPI web sites are inundated as I have been trying for ages to get through with no success.

Because people are being slack they are helping to spread it around further. Due to the close nature of some horse farms/studs it is bound to travel from place to place in close vicinity to each other.
So far I am clean here in the north west of Brisbane but I wonder how long it will take to reach us if people are taking risks whether they be infected or not. Just today my neighbor went out with his truck and trailer to deliver hay to several different people! I bet he hasn't taken the proper procedures!!! Where did he pick it up from? Did the supplier on farm take the proper care? I hope so.

If people would just try and wait it out then from what we are hearing it will be eradicated. I know how much of an inconvenience it is (and expensive) as I and many other friends have been hit by the inconvenience alone, let alone the expenses etc.. We are also lucky not to need the horses to survive. I for one have a quarter horse who had a bad case of pneumonia while at a trainers a few years ago, he already has lung and respiratory problems although when built up slowly into work he has no problems whatsoever, although if he were to get this virus it would not be good for him. I hate to think about it getting to him. I have him away from the boundaries and on ROBERT MCDOWELLS herbal mix.

From what I can read about, the EI virus has stayed in the areas that have been monitored from the original horses leaving places infected, all horses close by (to my knowledge) will/can get it until all in the areas will have it, if they are kept contained until it runs its course in those areas then the whole of Australia will surely be safe again.

After "talking/listening" to others from overseas they all recommend that we control it before it takes over Australia. We will need to vaccinate twice yearly, every horse we own (I only own 5) and that will add to the already rising costs of horse ownership. We still have to maintain a stock stand still if they vaccinate anyway!?

This is only my opinion formed by reading what is available on the internet and talking with a couple of people from overseas that have dealt with it. The lack of information daily is one problem but the people taking risks is the other.

Lets beat this Virus.
Sharon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home