If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Thursday 20 September 2007

Now I can't Get Home!

I read with interest the articles on the Horse Deal site how people at different showgrounds around the country want to go home, and the pony stallion the new owners cant get out of quarantine. I thought you might be interested in my situation.

I came to Germany with my horse for the World Young Dressage Horse Championships. Competing overseas was something that only happened to other people, but here we are and now I can't get home!

The quarantine for my horse was booked to start on 26/8/07. That did not happen. Sue Bennett, from Crispin Bennett has tried to get information, to keep myself and others in my situation up to date, nothing is available. I need to have some idea how long before my horse can return, home.

Would it be possible to set up a temporay quarantine centre to allow horses from countries with no current disease problems to return home? I would be happy to take reponsibility for the chance of him catching EI although vaccinated.

I had a budget for my dream trip, and the stress related to the unknown, which includes when my horse and I can return home and how I will finance this enforced stay, is starting to mount.

Here in Germany, vaccination is used to control EI. As I understand it, all competition horses and horses at the large riding schools have to vaccinate, the small centres can please themselves, however it appears most choose to vaccinate.

If there is an outbreak it is easy to contain and is over in about two weeks. If Australia started with a vaccination program when it was clear how rapidly this was spreading, there could be some answers to the questions being asked!

My horse was vaccinated to come to Germany, the two injections cost $100, not much when you look how much the present situation of the stand still is costing, everyone from the big studs, trainers, to the small one horse owner and the side show workers, farriers, the list is endless. Not only is the cost monetary, but also the stress of treating sick horses and even waiting to see if or when you are going to get it. It also affects the horses that were working for a future show or other event as those plans are now out the door, not to mention all the hard work and money involved in getting a horse into peak condition.

In this age of international travel for horses as well as people, I feel we need to move with the times!

I would very much like to know some time frames.

One more thing, back home I manage a thoroughbred stud, all 116 horses have Equine Infuenza. Im sure everyone there would have prefered that they were vaccinated. It's an added stress knowing the staff are dealing with that and I'm not there.

Thank you,

Dianne White

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home