If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Friday 12 October 2007

Horse Flu - Not JUST......

I’m not just a rich man’s trinket
to fulfill a greedy goal,
I am more – much more – to many.
I’m Australia’s heart and soul.

I’m companion, partner, soul mate;
I’m desires beyond just dreams.
I am overcoming hardships;
I’m life’s lessons in extremes.

Once my shoulders bore the burden
of the plough to plant the seed
that would grow the golden wheat fields
to fulfill this nation’s need.

And I laid the precious bore drains
giving lifeblood to this earth;
as I forged the great traditions
then, that gave this country birth.

I have borne your sons to battle,
heard their brief emblazoned cry,
seen the futile, reckless slaughter,
shared the mothers’ anguished “Why?”

I helped you tame this wilderness
- hauled, carted, did your will.
Used, abused and treated lightly,
yet I am your servant still.

I have brought you pride and glory
and a wealth you couldn’t measure.
and a heritage and history
in a partnership to treasure.

Every sport that you’ve invented,
(oft’ with consequences grim),
still I’ve jumped and turned and twisted
as I’ve met your every whim.

I have taught your children caring,
how to put another first,
to take the falls and try again
and cope with best and worst.

I’ve kept your daughters off the streets
and on the straight and narrow.
I’ve put my heart in all I’ve done
- and thrilled you to the marrow.

And yet you turn your back on me
in this - my hour of need.
All you think of is your losses
in your all-consuming greed.

Won’t you listen to my pleadings
for the horseman of this land?
This will change their life forever.
Won’t you try to understand?

For E.I.’s the nine eleven
that will change life as we know it.
The effects are catastrophic,
though the media don’t show it.

There are hordes of Aussie battlers
who’ll go under in this strife
and they’ll lose much more than money.
They will lose their way of life.

I am what makes life worth living.
I’m their every waking thought.
I am what they go without for
and that just can not be bought.

Whether hobby, sport or business,
through the fires and drought and flood,
I’m the way of life they’ve chosen
that is deep within their blood.

We have known the devastation
when a farmer loses all.
Horsemen follow in their footsteps
with their backs close to the wall.

There’s a rumbling now, of anger –
and horse people are not meek.
Will they sink in deep depression?
Will they turn the other cheek?

You have caused this thing to happen,
cutting corners with your greed.
Quarantine laws bent to suit you,
consequences guaranteed.

And so now, I pay the price
for your decisions made in haste.
Yet again I am surrounded
by the suffering and the waste.

Once more greed clouds your judgement,
with your selfish ‘purple zone’,
throwing caution to the winds with
your indulgence overblown.

Do you care about us really?
Now that pride’s before the fall?
Do you really want to help this?
Or do dollars say it all?

We can’t stop this raging virus;
all we ask is justice metered.
Let not the vested interests
dictate how this should be treated.

Demand consideration for
the Racehorse AND the scrubber.
Vet. treatment shouldn’t be denied
a much loved Pony Clubber.

I sympathise with milliners,
and with trainers. Yes, I’m trying.
But it pales in insignificance
when cherished friend is dying.

No, I’m not just a rich man’s trinket
to fulfill a selfish goal.
I am Horse. I am your brother.
I’m Australia’s heart and soul.

copyright to Carol Heuchan 07
www.carolpoet.com.au

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Carol

That is the most beautiful thing I have read in a really long time, the truth of it has bought me to tears literally.

God Bless
Leslee

12 October 2007 at 3:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Carol
I thouroughly enjoyed your wonderful interpretation about our beloved mates.....We have the voice, they don`t..well done. You should publish it.
Thanks
Karen

13 October 2007 at 1:33 pm  
Blogger Sharky said...

Carol,
Beautifully said! Thank you from a fellow horse family
Belinda

14 October 2007 at 10:38 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home