If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Thursday 15 November 2007

Horse deaths

I too have lost a beloved horse because of Equine Influenza. 3 weeks after contracting EI one of my mares a healthy 8 yo who has never had an sick day in her life ,stopped eating and drinking, started to get swellings on her body and head ,she showed no major distress just seemed calmly resigned. Because she had EI she could not leave and go to a vet hospital and my vet did all he could, but her kidneys failed, we had her PTS on Sat 10/11.
I have read that stressful illness can cause the kidneys to fail as can extreme trauma/bloodloss.

In mine and my vets opinion if she had never contracted EI she would still be here with us .She was a maiden mare and I had planned to have her AI'd this season but then horse flu broke out and put an end to that.I bred this mare and had high hopes for her, she was the best one I have ever bred.
I also run a horse equipment manufacturing business from home and this flu has all but stopped my income, my heart goes out to all the people suffering one way or another because of this damned virus.

Janine Eades
Kirribee Custom Covers
Mt Edwards, Qld

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to here about your horse these are the things that the horse raciny industry and DPI dont understand and that is the affection and attachment we form with or equine freinds when they are breed not just for commercial gain but to enjoy .
Any way the state government is happy their horse racing/cash cow is about to get going again at all cost to every thing else

15 November 2007 at 11:45 am  
Blogger Laura said...

Hey there Janine,

I am very sorry to hear about your mare. Our thoughts are with you :)


Geoff & Laura
Bonogin Qld

lucky1209@optusnet.com.au

16 November 2007 at 7:19 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home