If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Thursday 1 November 2007

THE LEGACY OF MORGAN PARK...

Usually, when I’m at ODE’s over two days, I arrive on the Friday to set up camp, orientate the horses, commence the competition “build-up” and generally lose myself in the atmosphere of this most wonderful of equine sports. When it’s all done, depending on the venue whereabouts and Show Jumping finish time on the Sunday, I’ll head off mid-afternoon to be home unpacked and ready to rest around 8pm…But not Sunday August 26th.

As Simon Goddard formally announced the cancellation of the Warwick World Cup Qualifier on that Sunday morning around 9.00am, I was tacked up and dressed ready to go across for Intro Show Jump. In that instant, everything changed as the enormity of the situation began to sink in. We were told of a 96 Hour Lockdown until Thursday, with a possibility of longer, and had to hurriedly re-think what was happening and how to handle it. My long suffering non-horsey partner was dismayed to be told… “I won’t be home tonight for dinner as usual darling but with a bit of luck, how does Thursday sound?”

The early days in the period from the Sunday to the Thursday including the minimum 30 Day Lockdown news and reluctant acceptance, infrastructure set-up, Peter Beattie’s visit, the DPI Meetings etc will no doubt be covered by other contributors. As I left at that time to return to employed work in Brisbane (I live on the Gold Coast), I want to share the subsequent experience from the point of view of an “absent” owner, returning on the weekends to see the horses, check with the carer and monitor the horses progress.

The first weekend back up there was the end of the first week of Lockdown, just 3 days after I had left. It was confirmed and now well entrenched that it was a 30 day minimum stay and a lot of establishment progress had been made. The carer scheme was formalized, although long before that I had come to a private paid arrangement with an acquaintance who was committed to staying the distance. This person gave me and my horses’ tremendous attention and I topped up the government payment in return for daily texts and/or phone call updates on my horses’ wellbeing.

I made four separate weekend treks up to Morgan Park, on two occasions staying overnight Saturday at the now famous Horse & Jockey at the front end of town.

The real pain for me was walking out of the compound on Sundays, looking back at two faces, ears pricked, and eyes sad but alert as if to say…”Don’t leave us here…”. That lasting picture in my mind accompanied me in the drive all the way home. As melodramatic as that may sound, I absolutely hated leaving them behind to pretty well stand there for 24 hours uninterrupted save for a bit of time in the newly erected day yards. At home, my horses are agisted 10 minutes away from home. I’m with them first thing every morning, last thing every night and most of the weekend. I don’t feel complete, if not in the company of horses. I missed most the spiritual contact.

Horses are everything to me. I stand in awe of them.

I’ve always loved the Foreword by Prince Phillip (no less) in the superb book “The Noble Horse” which goes along the lines of…”In the history of mankind, no animal has contributed more than the noble horse. Throughout the ages, in Agriculture, Transport, Industry, War, Sport and Recreation, he has been our quiet, willing and trusted friend…”

The Morgan Park Lockdown is now a part of EI folklore. Although a forced detainment, its origins laced with injustice, it proved that a community of people with a common and dedicated purpose can reside in difficulties and all pull together for a favourable and longer term result… in the name of the noble horse.

KGR (GOLD COAST)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankyou, your tale was wonderful to read. Hope you are all well.

1 November 2007 at 9:56 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home