If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Tuesday 13 November 2007

Racing Victoria boss calls it a day


GRAHAM Duff, the inaugural chairman of Racing Victoria Limited, resigned yesterday - not as a result of outside pressures, but because he believed it was time.

Duff said the devastating impact from the outbreak of equine influenza and the extraordinary measures required in Victoria to keep the state racing through the spring carnival had delayed his decision.

"It was not my intention to leave it as long as I have, but it would have been inappropriate and grandstanding of the highest order had I decided to announce my decision while the EI crisis was in full swing," Duff said.

"It became a real target for me to see the carnival go head and be successful. For me, the timing is perfect."

Duff said it was immensely satisfying that Victoria had emerged free of the EI crisis that crippled New South Wales and Queensland and had been able to showcase racing at its finest.

He said he reflected on Melbourne Cup day just how much the racing industry meant not only to Victoria, but nationwide.

"I just stood there, looked over 100,000 and thought, 'How good is this?' " he said.

"And to have some part of that success over the past six years and have racing accepted and respected is enough for me. I don't really care too much what any detractors might say. I was only in it for the best of racing."

Duff, who will step down at next month's RVL annual general meeting, rejected suggestions he was frustrated or disillusioned by the call from a prominent group or 27 identities calling for his resignation last month.

"Definitely not. It's just that I turned 65," Duff said.

"If I had taken another three years, it would have been nine and I'm not sure anyone should stay as chairman for nine years."

While he said he was aware of his many detractors, Duff said he expected to have people with passionate views in such a large and diverse industry.

"Everyone is allowed to push their own barrow and have their own go," he said.

Asked to categorise his six years as chairman, Duff said: "I'm very proud of where RVL is. I think RVL both Australia and internationally is a very well-respected institution."

Quizzed on any regrets, Duff identified the death of three jockeys from race falls.

"I don't think we have done enough with respect to safety. I think we still have to do more. I can't stomach the deaths and serious injuries we've had," Duff said.

By Adrian Dunn November 13, 2007


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad Mr Duff could look over the crowd at the Melbourne Cup and say how great this is, I wonder if he gave any thought to those of us in Qld or NSW who have had to sacrifice so much for his beloved Melbourne cup, I doubt it

13 November 2007 at 2:56 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home