If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Thursday 20 September 2007

My horse is stuck in quarantine too!

My horse is in the same quarantine station as the pony stallion belonging to Joan Bell. We moved here to Victoria in July from England and having made the huge decision to bring my horse with me I had felt it was the right one.Unfortunately I am now regretting that decision, however it cannot be reversed. Like her I was very excited at seeing " Merlin" on Wednesday 15th August only to receive the fated phone call from IRT on the Tuesday telling me of a problem. He is an event horse and my horse of a lifetime. I sold everything I could in the UK to afford his airfare and I am very worried that I cannot afford a huge quarantine bill. I am also concerned about what will happen when these horses are eventually released from their quarantine as I do not know where I can put him if the movement ban is still in place. We have spoken to various departments and understandably no one can give us much help at the moment. I have also spoken to his groom in quarantine and she assures me he is OK. Having been vaccinated since a foal he has had no symptoms and is coping with the confinement, however he has lost a lot of condition and muscle as they are not exercised at all. I have given up all hope of seeing him again this side of Christmas and may even then have to sell him to pay his bill!

Questions have to be answered as to how a horse got through the quarantine system as a carrier of this virus so that if the disease free status is recovered, this will never happen again. It is a huge worry and concern hanging over us, in what is otherwise a wonderfully exciting and fun time. More than anything I just want to see my horse again. At least I know that at the moment he is being well cared for.

Ruth Webb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home