If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Thursday 27 September 2007

Spread via feed?

Hi,

I want to raise the question of whether this disease can be spread via bales of hay or bags of horse feed??

I have 2 horses here on my small property which have NOT been anywhere since last December, nor have they had any contact with other horses or their saddlery.

My 2 y/o filly developed a runny nose and a cough yesterday, she is still eating ok and doesnt have a high temperature. My local vet didnt seem too interested and said to just keep monitoring her temperature and watch if she goes off her feed.

What a bad situation if our horses are getting sick from the feed we give them now!! Can you tell me if anyone else has mentioned feed as a possible transporter??

Regards,
Jenny.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny
What state are you in?
If the bug can be transported in our hair and on our clothes l can not see any reason why it can not be on our feed.
Read Roar don't Whisper Blog if interested and in Qld contact me

27 September 2007 at 7:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had heard that the horses in Millmerran had the virus introduced via a feed/hay delivery.

Not sure if this has been confirmed, but worth keeping in mind.

28 September 2007 at 8:18 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home