If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Saturday 13 October 2007

EI

I bought my daughter her first pony 4 years ago. She's just a little 'paddock-basher' , but to us she is priceless. Not too long ago, she came down with colic. The vet came, set up a drip, and I stayed in the stable with her all night. In the morning she was worse, so I called the vet back. Before he arrived, I made the desicion to take her to the Eqine clinic about 100km's away. The vet had already rang them for me, as he had come to the same conclusion. My preciouse little pony travelled to the clinic like an angel, despite her desperate sufferring. At the clinic I was given the news that they suspedcted a twisted bowel, and my pony was given less than an hour to live, unless they operated, and even then there was no guarentee. I didn't hesitate to tell them to operate, even though they quoted me around $10,000. No, I am not rich, not even a little bit. I had to increase the mortgage on my house to pay for the operation, which in the end cost $15,000. I will be paying it off for the next ten years, but I don't regret it because we still have our precious girl! She pulled through, despite how sick she was. My daughter and I drove to the clinic and back almost every day for the nearly three weeks she was at the clinic. We sufferred with her as she recovered, and despite the fact that my daughter has now outgrown her, we will never part with her.

NOW, HOW DO I TELL MY DAUGHTER, that because her pony is not a race horse, that she won't get a vaccine to stop her from getting the E.I. virus so severley that it may kill her; that we don't matter because we aren't wealthy enough to matter to the politians?

We may not generate millions in revenue, but as non-race horse owners, we love our horses too. In fact, in most cases, we probably love our horses more. Political leaders, take note! We may not be wealthy, but we do have a vote!

From a VERY ANGRY horse owner, and voter!

Debby!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTLY!!! WE HAVE A VOTE, IN THE NEXT ELECTION WE NEED TO STAND UP AND HAVE A VOICE, FOR THE ONES THAT HAVE SUFFERED SOME GREAT HARDSHIPS BECAUSE OF THE BEAURACRACY, AND TO THE HUMBLE PONY CLUBBER WITH KIDS THAT DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY CAN`T RIDE THEIR DEAR MATES, AND TO THE PONIES AND HORSES THAT HAVE SUFFERED BECAUSE OF PEOPLE THAT PUT DOLLARS BEFORE COMMON SENCE, I AM GLAD THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO HELP YOUR PONY AND I WISH YOU WELL FOR THE FUTURE. AND REMEMBER TO MAKE YOUR VOTE COUNT....

13 October 2007 at 5:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RACE HORSE PEOPLE HAVE A DEFINITE RIGHT TO VACCINATE FIRST - IN SOME CASES! My husband and I run a successful harness racing business in QLD. We both left a successful career in mining in northern QLD for our dream job of training our gorgeous, much loved standardbreds. We also have two young children - 2 and 4yrs, the 4yr old has bad asthma and needs much care and medication. Our sole income is derived from our horses earning every week for us so we can pay our bills. Our horses pay for us to live - our groceries, medical expenses, kindy fees, mortgage, general cost of running our 25acre property etc. We live in the 'red zone' and have had our horses vaccinated. We NEEDED our horses vaccinated FIRST and FOREMOST above other 'paddock bashers' because without our horses earning for us we HAVE NO INCOME! It's alright for all you casual riders to get on your high horse and have a go at the racing industry and government etc. for discriminating against pleasure horses, but spare a thought for people such as ourselves who have kids to feed and raise, a property to run, a mortgage to pay off. We need our horses to stay healthy so we can race as soon as possible so we don't slip further and further into debt. You guys are still able to work the 9 to 5, not us. Yes, I know we are eligible for some handouts but they are limited and will not cover all our costs. we are only just getting by - for now.

14 October 2007 at 8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home