If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Thursday 11 October 2007

Unbelievable , incompetent and totally outrageous!!

This is an account of my experience with EI and the NSW DPI.

I am a 4th generation horseperson. I have lived, bred and prepared my show horses from the same property for 40 years. All horses on the property are multiple royal show winners including Sydney. They are worth more individually than most tried racehorses - by a long way.
I have the misfortune to be located in a "Red Zone" in Western Sydney.
Since the initial outbreak of EI at Eastern Creek on August 22nd. I have implemented the strictest of bio security measures for my property.

There are no other horses or donkeys at all within a 1.5 km radius of here.
I have been begging the DPI and my vets for Vaccine since the outbreak on August 22nd. NO WAY!!

3 days ago, approx 5 days after 2 days of strong winds, all my horses developed full blown EI. One of them in particular - the oldest , is very unwell.

At the first signs of infection I rang the DPI hotline. I was very concerned that I was in a red zone, my horses were sick, and I wanted them tested ASAP. The answer was NO!! No assistance, No DPI visit, and No testing!!. Just manage the best you can, They expected a lot more healthy horses in the red zones to get sick -so basically it's a free for all for the infection to spread at its virulent best till it reaches the buffer zones. If anything changed that would affect myself or my animals, I would be notified.

I am SO MAD!!! Neither myself or my poor horses have done anything negligent to deserve this happening. None of the horses have even been off the property for months. The infection is obviously airborne and not only has it infected my horses but thanks to a fantastic "local grape-vine" I found out that almost every horse in my area ( all red Zone) has contracted EI in the last week - hundreds of them!

As I write this I can hear my horses coughing relentlessly, its very hot and humid today so its even more uncomfortable for them ..........I feel like we have been forsaken.

I think this whole affair has been handled with total apathy to a point of complete negligence. No pro-active attempt has been made to halt its spread or vaccinate the non-affected horses until it was FAR TOO LATE.

Ask anyone who has seen this disease first hand in Europe ,in regard to our control of it - we are a laughing stock.

What I want to know is - Who's head is going to roll and most importantly, where’s our compensation. It's absolutely outrageous!!

Lee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home