If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Sunday 14 October 2007

The vaccinations COST ME!!!!

I am FURIOUS!!! I am in a Buffer Zone so was told I would have FREE vaccinations. Well, 3 people turned up, donned biosuits - a vet, a scribe, and a DPI paid woman. This woman in a crinkly biosuit, cap, mask and gloves walked up to each of my horses in turn by waving her hand to their eyes, while pulling on their leads, when they pulled back in fright she pulled harder. I told her the horses didn't like it, to no avail.

She just would not listen to me. She was highly condescending to me (I have postgrad qualifications in equine stuff, well known stud, export horses etc etc) and this woman twice told me she would show me how to put a halter on horse!! For the first horse she was most insistent where the horse should be placed in the paddock (!!?) and told me three times in a row that "the vet needs to access the horse's left side" (duh!!) and two of those times actually pushed me into a different position!! (My original possie was fine!!)
Consequently as a direct result of her ghastly lack of horse skills, 10 of my 15 horses needed sedation! EVERY horse I held did NOT, every horse she held DID!!

The last mare they did on Day 1 was an ex-endurance mare, high mileage and now 22 yo, she is super quiet, well this woman had her so riled up that sedation or twitch was stated, I said she doesn't like people yanking on her head and pulling on her lead, that if I held her she would be fine, so I was allowed to hold her, only then this woman came up and leaned with all her weight behind the mare's poll making the mare very tense, and the comments were that the horse was tense!!

The next day the vet informs me that the sedation will be billed to me and that it is expensive!! He said the DPI pays for the vax but not the sedation. I just can't believe it, I am enraged, I am furious. In fact, when I ducked into the house for a moment and came back out, she had my rescue case mare by the EAR!! I said to let go, she replied that she was not hurting the mare and told me to leave the yard!!

I am FURIOUS!!! if the DPi won't pay for sedation, they should not let Big-Noting Self-Opinionated Self-Professed-Experts handle an owner's horses!!!!!

Furious in NSW.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

More fool you for allowing her to take charge. I would have ordered her out of the yard based on the fact that she was obviosly not competent enough to handle the horses in question & posed a danger to all concerned including the horses. Her refusal to do so would have resulted in a halt to all proceedings until she complied .

14 October 2007 at 9:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shame you didn't get any video or photographic evidence of this persons lack of competance.I don't care who they are, I would demanded that they leave my property at once and only return when they had someone else that NEW what they were doing. Lets face it, the DPI only treat poor sheep, cattle etc, animals that are not used to human handling. Their TOTAL lack of horse husbandly is inexcusable in this situation. As for the vet bill, well that I WOULDN'T pay. He also should of had more sense, but obviously he too is only used to dealing with cats & dogs buy the sound of it.I would be reporting the DPI person (hopefully you got a name), to the RSPCA for the cruel way she treated your animals. You have every right to feel violated & angry.
When will this crap treatment of us STOP ???

Sue

14 October 2007 at 9:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be Livid too. How dare they! These people not only lack common sense, but any horse handling skills as well. Incredible. I hope your horses are not too traumatised by this event. I would have asked her to leave.

14 October 2007 at 9:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would attempt to get this DPI womans name and report her, let the DPI know what happened and send them the bill.
This is just so wrong and I am so fed up with hearing about the little people getting the rough edge of the sword

14 October 2007 at 9:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be furious too. I'm sorry for your experience & for your horses too, but perhaps this will be a warning to everyone else, DO NOT let anyone else handle your horses. I can tell you if this woman had been on my property, she would have been forcibly removed.

14 October 2007 at 1:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you the one who's being the "Big-Noting Self-Opinionated Self-Professed-Expert" by publihing this? Would you rather have your horses vaccinated or not? My horses have been done with no probs (and no sedation) by a considerate and capable DPI vet & racing steward. The steward had no 'horse skills' but hey, they are doing the best they can in a high pressure job. The Vet and steward had been on the road for 15hrs that day; people like you make their job harder and more stressful.

14 October 2007 at 2:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Naomi, but I have to disagree with you. The DPI for one, shouldn't be allowing their staff to be working with other peoples animals if they've been "on the road for 15 hrs" Truckies aren't allowed to do that so why are they any different ?? The DPI staff have no reason to handle anyones horse, that's the vets & the owners job. The owner in this case was more than willing to handle her horses, but was forced to let this dipstick do it - sounds like you were one of the lucky ones with regards to treatment. Fact remains, we shouldn't even be in this shit fight BUT are, only due to the governments gross negligence in letting this enter Australia in the first place. The DPI don't have a clue on how to deal with this, and certainly aren't doing the "best" in this job. They have screwed it up from the start, so maybe you should scroll down and read "experienced vets" thoughts on how this is being handled. If you hold the DPI is such high regard....then maybe you'd be happy to pay her vet bill ???

Sue

14 October 2007 at 4:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See NON HORSE people dealing with a HORSE specific problem. Isn't our government great? I would have smacked the woman first chance i got.

14 October 2007 at 11:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry but I think you paying for the sedation is very fair. Why didnt you tell the woman not to touch your horses. If someone told me to get out of my own yard, I would tell her to leave my property.

O and your not that hard done by, Im willing to PAY for vaccinations for my 12 horses, if only they would let my horses have some.

15 October 2007 at 3:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did tell the woman to leave on numerous occasions. Even when I had finally stopped her holding the last horse, she pressed down with all her weight behind the horse's ears while the mare (whom I was holding) was being microchipped and vaccinated. This woman just would not listen. Naomi, you are extremely rude. I had been up for 15 days running with a foaling mare, my parents are terminally ill, I was completely exhausted. I DID order the woman not to touch my horses, and in fact, on the 2nd day after I had a sleep, I kept her at bay successfully, but still she tried it on, time and time again. Final Anonymous, you are not logical. Of course I am pleased that my horses were vaccinated, does that mean I have to put up with abuse from an overly pushy person who actually physically pushed me on 2 occasions? Why is paying for the sedation fair? They only needed it as I was not able to handle my own horses. I was not told I would have to pay for it until AFTER they had been sedated. How do "people like (me)" make their jobs harder? Her job would have been easy if she had not been so overbearing and displayed her gross lack of horse handling skills on my horses! In fact, I had a colt locked in a yard to make doing him easy, she actually let him out of the yard PRIOR to me catching him for the vax and he took off bucking and cavorting and was consequently all stirred up. How is this helpful? Shouldn't we the horse owners be pulling together in this, not making snide self-satisfied remarks at others like viewers on Jerry Springer?

15 October 2007 at 9:19 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home