If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Tuesday 4 December 2007

Letter to PPHI Committee

Dear PPHI Committee

I thank you for the work that you have done for the industry to date but there are still several questions that I have posed to various people & as yet have not had a direct response to so I am going to list them for you in the hope that you can answer them or at least point me in the direction of someone that can.

Why can’t I get my horses vaccinated when the majority of racehorses in South East Queensland have been vaccinated regardless of whether they were within 500m or 10km of an infected property?

Why do I have to pay the associated vet fees for vaccination when it is no fault of my own or of my PPHI constituents that EI was bought into Australia & ultimately South East Qld?

Why can’t pleasure & performance horses that have been vaccinated or have been declared resolved be allowed out of lockdown as their racing counterparts are?

While I understand that you, the DPI and government are very busy trying to deal with this crisis it seems to me that since day one everyone has bent over backwards to help the racing industry get back on it’s feet as fast as possible, while leaving the rest of us to manage as best we can and if we are lucky have our horses come through this alive & reasonably unscathed.

I for one am sick of having my life turned upside down. I’ve gone from riding 3 horses 5 days a week to riding 2 horses for 10 minutes each every second day so that they don’t go nuts & kill themselves running around the paddock because they are bored.

Where do we go from here? The racing industry is back on it’s feet & saying EI is over while the rest of us are looking at February as a best case scenario for slowly starting to be allowed out. Well that is not good enough! If they are allowed out then why aren’t we? I understand and have fully supported the lockdown but now it seems that there is one rule for them & one rule for us. Last time I checked a thoroughbred (coincidently my horses are thoroughbreds, must be a different type of thoroughbred I suppose) could just as easily become a carrier of the virus as a warmblood or a donkey but the powers that be are behaving as though a thoroughbred could not possibly carry or distribute the virus. Oh what short memories considering it was a thoroughbred that bought the virus into Australia in the first place.

I thank you for taking the time to read this email & look forward to a response. I understand that you “the committee” are in no way responsible for our situation and my anger and frustration are not directed at you, merely the frustrating situation that I find myself in 12 weeks after the initial outbreak.

Kind regards

Jenny Kunde

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Where do we go from here- nowhere
We the non racing sector of the horse community are stuck with more of the same, We keep hearing how they the QPPHI are working to help us , yes they where succecful in getting 260000 vacinations and they have got a line into the DPI but the are only ever going to do what they are told buy the DPI the horse racing industry and this mystical group called the National Management Group. From what I can see we will be going absolutly nowhere till these people say that non race horses can be moved, we may be allowed some form of competitons within the red zone and that will only be if there are no freh out breaks of EI, but now we have race horses and there gear moving around it will only be a mater of time before new outbreaks start to occur and we will all be back to sqaure one. As for moving out of the red zone and into the green to do anything this will not be untill June 2008 if we are lucky then we will be forced into quarantine stations most likely at our expense for goodness knows how long making it vertually impossible to get anywhere ( of course we all have endless amounts of time and money to sit with horses in a quarantine stations for weeks)
I for one have been having serious doubts about this self appointed QPPHI group there is no way to contact them , no meetings called to hear from the people they claim to represent and no accountability from the other than there word
Come on QPPHI group how about being accountable

4 December 2007 at 9:21 am  
Blogger JK said...

Hi Phil

Conveniently I've acquired some contact details for some of the members of the committee. If you are interested email me - info@jennykunde.com

Cheers

4 December 2007 at 11:15 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home