If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Tuesday 18 December 2007

Purple Pony to Victoria

I have been reading with interest about the yearlings from NSW being given entry into Victoria for the forthcoming Inglis Sales in today's newspapers, the Horse Deals blog and other equestrian forums. There is many comments in relation to double standards given to the racing industry compared to what has been known as the recreational industry, so much so that I thought I would just see for myself if there is any merit.

I called the NSW DPI, advised I had a pony in the purple zone of NSW that the pony had been vaccinated, that I wanted this pony to be moved from Sydney to Victoria. I was told by the helpful DPI person that there were certain protocols I must follow and if I met these protocols re quarantine and isolation (which I do believe could be met) than I would receive a permit from NSW but to get into Vic I would need to contact the DPI in that state.

I have since called the DPI VIC twice, given the same speel only to be asked the second time around is the horse a yearling for the sales or a different horse. My response was what is the difference its still a horse, to which I really did not receive any answer. On advising that the horse in question was a pony I was told that there are new protocols on movement into Victoria, and at this stage they do not know what they are, but they will be posted onto the DPI Vic website either today or tomorrow. I then raised the question well if the protocols are not known or not available how have the yearlings for the Inglis sales been moved from NSW to Victoria today, once again no answer. The DPI representative could not answer this question and was obviously finding the questions difficult to attempt to answer, if you have no answers how can you give one.

The DPI particulary in Victoria keep hiding behind the fact the recreational industry is fragmented compared to the racing industry that has bio security measures in place, contigency plans on tap and this may have some merit but if DPI Victoria cannot answer the question I have posed, then double standards do certainly exist.

If DPI Victoria have nothing to hide then where are the protocols that allowed the movement of yearlings from the purple zone in NSW into Victoria??

Jennifer Sandson
Vic
Monday 17th December

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There has been and always will be two rules, one for the Racing people and one for the rec. & performance people. I know of a lady that tried 4 times to get a permit to move her horse from an EI free zone to her place also EI free and was refused. The place that the horse was not no grass and she wanted it home to be able to feed it and look after it herself. The Race horse people down the road where moving their Brood Mares to stud with no problem. The Ladys' horse got colic and by the time the vet got to her horse it was too late and the horse had to be put down. When she rang and told the DPI what had happened the just said why didn't she ring on the morning of the death and ask for an emergcy permit.
The horse was to sick to be moved and if they had given her the permit in the first place then she would still have her horse and a good mate. But then again her horse wasn't a THOROUGHBRED was it.
When are we the Rec. and Performance people going to be given the same rights as the RACING PEOPLE. We love our horses as if they are a part of the family, So when our mates or family aren't with us or worse die we are hurt deep and it affect us so much. WE LOVE OUR HORSES.

18 December 2007 at 11:58 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home