If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Monday 17 September 2007

The Girls from Warwick

Today we caught up with three young ladies at Morgan Park in Warwick, all doing their best in a far from perfect situation.

Yesterday we spoke to Heath Ryan’s groom, Alishya Hill and today Alishya told us all about the DPI meeting from last night and today.

“We had a meeting with the DPI and the vets last night and they explained that they would be taking blood samples from all the horses today at 10 am. They explained that the blood tests were to see if the horses had produced their own antibodies to the virus, and if all the tests came back positive then that would be good. Then they would repeat the tests again in a week. If all the results were positive again then they would be able to give us a release date. However, if one horse tested negative then that horse would be re-infected and we would all start the quarantine period again. The results from today’s tests will be back in 3 or 4 days.

“We had another meeting with the DPI at 3pm today and they explained that people are scared that the horses from Warwick, if released will infect other horses so they must prove without doubt that this will not happen. At the meeting it was asked if the NSW horses would be able to travel back into NSW after they were released, but the DPI did not know at this time. People also asked about what they have heard the NSW DPI was doing in NSW, but the QLD DPI could not comment on this. People at the meetings were well behaved and calmly listened to what the DPI and the vets had to say.

“It was a different sort of day today, as all the horses had to stay in until the bloods were taken at 10am. Then I did a practice exam for my Intro Level Instructors Certificate, with the real exam on Friday. There are about seven of us doing this level. After putting all the horses out I went to the aerobics class. Everyone was complaining of sore muscles but I just love the gym classes and have only missed one since I have been here.”

We left Alishya to eat her dinner and spoke to Rochelle Aikenhead who had her 18th birthday at Warwick yesterday.

How was your birthday?

It was really good, my parents came up and we went out for both lunch and dinner.

Is there somewhere good to eat in Warwick?

The RSL is very good!

Did they give you a party at Morgan Park?

No, because I did not tell anyone it was my birthday.

How is it going there?

Well, I am really keen to leave, but we have to wait for the blood tests. I sit my Intro Level Instructor’s exam on Friday and that has been good, I have learnt quite a few new things. The Horses are now well and bouncing around like idiots. We are now allowed to walk the horses on the lead around the cross country course, but they will not let us start to ride them even at the walk. There are still lots of people staying here and everyone is well settled in.

Rochelle then passed the phone over to her “truck mate,” Hannah Murphy who is fifteen and along with looking after her horse is attending the daily school.

Have you been up there from day one?

Yes, I was here competing and then went home for just three days and returned to look after by horse and I was able to stay with Rochelle in her truck.

Have you been getting up to any mischief together?

Not really, but we have consumed a lot of chocolate.

How is the school?

It is really good; I go for 3 hours a day with 2 or 3 teachers there. My school, Stuartholme in Brisbane has been sending me work and I have done all my assignments and exams here using my laptop. Next week school holidays start.

We will catch up with all the girls next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home