If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Thursday 4 October 2007

EI killed my Briar Baby

This morning betweeen 4am and 5am Byalee Believe, the first palomino and the first colt by Byalee Briar, died of EI complications. He had a temperature on Monday afternoon, lung congestion by yesterday afternoon, appeared bright after being on a drip yesterday evening and then died of massive lung congestion. All the drugs and care in the world weren't enough to stop him from dying.

"Toby" was already sold and was destined for a career in the dressage arena. He was absolutely gorgeous, the strongest foal we had ever had, a good 60kg, and it still killed him. The mare is beside herself, as are we all. He wasn't just one of 20 foals, he was the culmination of 20 years of breeeding and working and dreaming and believing in the dream. He was the reward for going out on a limb and going into more debt and importing a stallion - when he was born I sat and watched him from my computer for two days. I couldn't believe what I had created.

I should have known better. Right now it's really hard to believe. Or to dream. We don't expect 20 live foals every year from 20 mares - but this one shouldn't have died and didn't need to die.

We still have a pregnant broodmare dying of EI, we still have an EI infected 29-day premmie foal that can't stand up on its own after 36 hours, and we just brought in another 7-day-old Romance filly with lung congestion. It's 35 deg and we have had no sleep. We only have one staff left - the other 3 live in and two part time are long sacked due to no income. Maybe if there was an end in sight - but there isn't.

I am posting this thread not to make you all cry but to warn you - when the DPI-appointed vet came to do the autopsy he said lots of TB foals had died. So don't wait for staistics. We are being fed propaganda. And yes, before you suggest it, after crying for three hours I did get angry, and I did go to the media. And it will be run.
But it won't make Toby wake up.

Ann-Maree Lourey

6 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Our thoughts are with you
Phil

4 October 2007 at 10:50 am  
Blogger Sharky said...

Ann-Maree,
I am so sorry for your loss and ongoing hardship. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your other animals!

4 October 2007 at 6:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences to you, that must be so heart breaking for you.

Im so sorry to hear what you are going thru.

4 October 2007 at 8:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was saddened to read your story, I wish you only the best with the rest of your horses
Good luck
karen

4 October 2007 at 8:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Ann - Maree,
My heart goes out to you, I'm so sorry you are having to go through this massive outbreak. My mare has just given birth to a beautiful little filly I would be inconsolable if anything happen to her. At the moment we are very lucky, but I don't know for how long though, the flu hasn't reached us her on the coffs coast but it is in the armidale area and hope it doesn't get to us! fingers crossed. It just goes to show that the government and the racing industry are so accountable for what they have done! I hope for you if there is a huge law suit that you are given financial assistance for your loss, however it would never give your foal back or any others that fall victim.
My heart goes out to you and any other family that is going through this EI outbreak.
best wishes
liz

4 October 2007 at 8:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ann-Maree, Please look up www.bookswithspirit.com and follow "make your own horse flu" link. It really works - homeopathy has been around since 1800's. It will help your sick horses and you dont need a crystal, a simple house key will do as a pendulum. I do hope you give it a go.
So sorry for your loss
Janice

5 October 2007 at 8:51 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home