If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Sunday 14 October 2007

EI

Hi, I'm just writing about my experience with EI,

On the 31st of September I heard the horse on the property next to mine cough, I listened for a while and there was no more cough. So i moved the horses that I had near them, to the furtherest part of my property.

On Monday morning I called the DPI, and they informed me to keep bute and antibiotics up to my horses, I called my vet, and organised to visit them which is half hour away. On my arrival I was told to move about 40 mtrs from the surgery, and the vet would call me, I waited, spoke to the vet on my mobile while he was in his office, the nurse then brought medication out to the side of the rd, left it there and when she walked away I was able to pick it up. I did feel like a foreigner, but they are covering all quarantine measures, as this clinic has 30+ horses there.

Luckily I spoke to my vet, before I was happy handing out medication as informed by DPI. As there can be complications from certain drugs.

On the way home I called into the local saddlery and the lady that works there, said it's not good that your neighbor across the rd has EI, I said "are you sure".

On my final part of my journey the property directly opposite my house, had a sigh up, QUARANTINE ZONE, I later called my neighbor, whom I had never spoke to, and asked when did she get it and how's the horses. She told me that the 2 properties next to hers got it Friday and Wednesday, I said to her its nice that not one of my neighbors has done a mail box drop or called me, as I got her phone no from the saddlery.

Later that after noon I had 2 horses sick with EI, I was taking 7 horses temperatures twice a day, and by Tuesday night 2 more horses had it, Wednesday another horse came down with it, and on Saturday afternoon the other 2 horses had it. Out of 7 horses that I have for clients, 3 got hit pretty bad and 1 was very sick, didn't eat for 4 days. The other 3 just got it in a mild way.

These signs that they show are high temperature, a heavy cough that I could hear over my home theatre system, yellow mucus discharge, lethargic, sore and aches and loss of appetetite.

These horses are clients and were meant to be home by now in Cairns or Melbourne, but are stuck here till it is all good to travel.

I was concerned about the health of my clients horses, and I was disturbed that my neighbors could not tell me about EI, but at the end of the day all my horses are getting better. I'm better off to get EI now and then get it out of the way, And I feel a lot relieved that I have had it, and I think I was stressed about it at the beginning of the horses sickness. And I felt embarrassed that I had it, but as every one has said, I have done all precautions and it was gonna happen.

I must say that my Vet has been a great help, I’ve called him many of times, and he said any time to call, the DPI has been great, they are not trained vets, and are doing the bets they can, considering it is spreading and spreading each day. The Government has been so supportive toward the equine industry.

Even when traveling over the border there are such tight DPI procedures to cross, or even traveling into Brisbane Royal, you need a Waybill and a travel permit.

Where can this stop, we scrub down before we leave, scrub car, but it can travel from our nose hairs, ear hairs, the under carriage of the car, the posty, the garbo, the racq man that called in across the rd, but it will travel.

Regards

Paul Austin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home