If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Monday 22 October 2007

EI………….Whenever……………

I may be missing something here…

I’m in the SE Queensland Red Zone and the current “indications” are that horse movements may be relaxed by Christmas if everyone does their bit observing stringent biosecurity and the enforced standstill meanwhile.

Then what? If Christmas IS the timeframe (and I for one seriously doubt it), we can move horses to Instructor’s properties, trail ride destinations, the beach (in NSW in my case), Pony Club and other grounds, etc? I think not. There will be a total uneasiness and consciousness about the “threat” or otherwise of your horse/s, the transport, equipment and so on as there can only be THREE scenarios….

1. Those that have had EI
2. Those who haven’t, and…
3. Those who have been vaccinated.

I’m sitting here thinking about Warwick and the cancelled August World Cup Qualifier currently re-scheduled for mid-March 2008. I don’t think I’d want to even front for that Show in light of the above three points and risk another outbreak/lockdown etc and I can’t see the elite riders doing so in confidence either. I was caught in the Warwick lockdown with two horses and that memory is way too fresh to risk a repeat!

My bottom line opinion is this…Strategic vaccination coupled with eradication through “natural burnout“ will likely take months and months and months and eat well into next years Show and Event itinerary if not obliterating it altogether. EI has been way in front of the DPI from the outset and again in my opinion there are only TWO near term outcomes….

1. Approved availability of Vaccine so that those who want/need to can… (At least this is a foreseeable outcome and has a timeline), or…
2. Eventual eradication… (This is the big “whenever”. Pick your date as no-one REALLY knows. We have to wait out natural spread and/or vaccination at the DPI’s behest!)

As a responsible and disciplined equestrian, I want to be able to attend future Events in some confidence knowing that through vaccination, I have protected my horses and those that belong to others attending.

My experience in the SE Queensland eventing circuit is that the wonderful people involved would want to treat me with the same courtesy.

Good Luck to us all.

KGR (Gold Coast)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home