If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Thursday 25 October 2007

Happy Days

I’m struggling on my own (I have no staff) with my 13 .I called the DPI, operator didn’t want to know as we were in the purple zone & said vet should report it. I’m not the only person to be told this. I didn’t need a vet to tell me they had it.Give me some credit, my horses were very healthy prior & every horse in the suburb is sick.

I am at day 7 since I noticed the thick yellow mucus, consistent as custard along with the dreading barking cough. The stallions were almost falling over while trying to cough, racking their whole body. One stallion has had blood in his eyes now for 4 days, my daughters old pony had a lot of blood through her nose for 2 days before she even started coughing. They have nearly all colicked at one time so far. Some are off food & not drinking , I paste them with meds twice daily. To hear them struggling to cough all day & night is something ill never forget. My vet said I have got approximately another 2 weeks of this. The heat was knocking them about now I’m hoping they don’t get pneumonia with the wet weather as they all still have green & yellow mucus with high temps .

The bute & antibiotics has cost me hundreds of dollars so far .I will pay the levy, if I’m compensated for my vet bills . I’m not a registered business these horses share our life, so I’m not entitled to a penny.

August we were told vaccination was not an option, then the virus ran rampant through 2 states, while we were told it was being contained .Majority have missed out on vaccination. A lot of horses have died .

This Breeding season is lost to most of us, now we are told we have to sit tight until June 08 or longer, but the thoroughbreds will be back to normal by December. How is this all fair ??

This whole situation has been handled badly. Now there are surveys circulating asking the 'recreational' horse owners for our input.What a joke, our opinions & concerns haven’t mattered to date. I have sent many letters out & only one has bothered to reply.

To the unaffected states, BE PREPARED as this virus is not just a cold!

Regards
Julie

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharky said...

Julie,
I hope all goes well, and that your animals all recover. Mine were sick for 3 weeks and the sickest is still getting over it at week 7 - on/off mucous and 3 courses of antibiotics so far. You are so right - it is so much more than just a cold!!!
Good luck, and please let us know when they all recover!
Sincerely

25 October 2007 at 7:05 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home