If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Thursday 4 October 2007

Waiting In The West

It would seem that most people in the West have so far missed the turmoil caused by the Equine Influenza outbreak. However, yesterday we heard of the trouble well know Western Australian pony producer and newly co-opted Para–dressage rider, Sharon Jarvis was having due to the EI outbreak. So today Horse Deals contacted Sharon to get the full story.

Sharon is well known around the shows in the West for producing show ponies and riding dressage. Just last years a fellow Para-Dressage rider suggested she joined RDA.

“People who have known me for years could not believe I was eligible for RDA, as I never really told people about my problems. I tell then, have you ever noticed I get on from the wrong side, it is not because I do not know which side is correct, it is because I cannot get on from the correct side. When I was seven I developed bone cancer and my parents were told I only had three months to live, but my wonderful parents never told me. They told me I was going to get better and I never thought otherwise. After extensive treatment, I survived the cancer but a lot of damage was done to the bones of my pelvis. I have very restricted movement of the pelvis and some days I am in quite a bit of pain, but those days I take pain killers.

“I did not ride for six years and then the doctors could see no reason why I should not start again. It worried my parents and it is always in the back of my mind how devastating a fall and a broken leg could be to me. But you have to live life, I have parachuted and abseiled and prepared lots of ponies for children to ride. It was my dream that when I got a pony good enough, to take it East. I did that last year and it was wonderful. When I got home, I was wondering what my next challenge would be and the Para-Dressage came along and the timing was perfect.

“ This is the first year I have not been at the Royal for ten years, it is very disappointing. I should have been at the National RDA Championships in Melbourne, so I did not enter the Royal and now that the Nationals have been postponed, I am sitting at home while everyone else is at the show. Last year I did the show then flew straight to Melbourne for the RDA Nationals, but it was very difficult. However, I was picked to represent Australia at the FEI World Para Dressage Championships in Hartpury in England in July this year.

“There were seven Australians all riding borrowed horses and four made up the Australian team, including myself. Our team was placed seventh, the highest placed team on borrowed horses, individually I placed 8th, 6th and 14th in my three tests. The horse that I drew was 17 hh, which was a bit of a problem with my disabilities, and the fact I normally ride small horses, but he was wonderful. The whole experience was wonderful.

“Whilst in England we were looking for a horse with the Para-Olympics in Hong Kong and the World Equestrian Games in mind. I found a wonderful, 11 year old Dutch Warmblood, which is currently competing at Prix St George/Inter I. People told me when I found the right horse I would know and after looking at a number of horses both in Holland and England I just knew he was the one, I did not want to get off. He was due to leave England the day of the outbreak and he is still there in quarantine. “IRT have been wonderful sending me photos (Picture left; IRT got the people at the quarrantine in England to take a photo for me. It was taken after 5 weeks of him being there) and keeping me up to date, but I was so excited about him arriving and now it is so frustrating not knowing. Today IRT thought they might have him on a flight on the 13th of October, so I am really hoping. What I am going through is nothing compared to people in the East, but so many people are affected by EI in so many different ways.

“When he does arrive we do not think we will bring him home as there is the fear the WA boarders will be closed again and then he will be stuck here. We have friends in Melbourne, so it looks like he will stay there and I will fly back and forward.

“So I am just sitting here quietly waiting”!

Sharon hopes to be able to send us photos of her new horse and we will catch up with her soon to find out if she has had any good news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home