If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Friday 2 November 2007

Give with one hand take with the other

What an interesting week to say the least, three weeks ago I went to the trouble of submitting an application for the EI Vaccinations, we are a very small stud with 9 horses two of those foals approaching 4 months and all of them are family members not just stud stock to us.

Last Friday I received news and found we were in the new buffer zone and would receive the vaccinations for free which was a huge relief as I didn't hold much hope for my application as we have miniatures, so I rang my vet on that day got all of my details taken and had a great weekend hoping the vaccinations would be soon. I rang the vet again on Monday to confirm that we were definitely in the buffer zone and when could I expect them?

I was told that she remembered me from Friday we were definitely on the list and the vet would be here on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday so understanding how busy they were Wednesday passed and no vet. I rang the vet on Thursday to discover that we would no longer be receiving the vaccination as the buffer had changed and I had missed out solely just because my vet couldn't make it to me.

Needless to say the emotions have been on a huge roller coaster ride, where is the fairness in that? Considering many had already received it in this area and I have heard of studs receiving the vaccination whom had already contracted EI and thus another waste of vaccinations why has there been no mention of this? The DPI today suggested that they were trying not to waste vaccinations as they only had a limited amount um vaccinating in an area for 7 days then repositioning the buffer zones seems like a waste to me if they are trying to make a so called buffer, don't get me wrong I am very happy for the folks that did achieve success by getting their horses vaccinated in the area though.

So I decided to pursue to a higher power, this led to an interesting adventure to say the least, I called the DPI Influenza hotline to which I was then transfered to the DPI in Rockhampton after being on hold for at least 15 minutes minimal I was then put on hold and a lovely lass then gave me another number to call another department of the DPI, sigh of course it wasn't the right number I was told that they would call me back, well am still waiting for a call from last Thursday LOL, so wasn't falling for that, the gent was ever so helpful but he was being told by his fellow colleges that he couldn't give me the number he wanted to.

I asked him what department it was and he told me it was the Equine Vaccination Centre, well luck would have it that I had that number on my mobile from when I submitted my form and they rang me back with an enquiry so I then proceeded to call them, this is about lunch time and still no return calls from the two calls I made this morning and told they would get back to me surprise surprise, not holding my breath on that one. Well got through to the vaccination centre and a lovely lass there tried to transfer me through but lost the connection granted she was good enough to call me back only to find that the person she had to put me through was on a call and so she proceeded to give me her number, I tried for another 10 minutes to get through and someone was silly enough to pick up the phone, not the person that I had originally rang for but granted this lady was able to help me better than most so far.

So the situation stands that I have to suck it up and just deal that I am now not getting the vaccination because my vet could not get to me to do it and had to choose who he thought he should do, my application has not been approved but may be reassessed and that my vet is trying to get those of us that are interested in having the vaccinations a chance of being able to receive them at the cost of $75 per horse to which I also don't hold much chance of success.

I imagine that my situation is very similar to many folks out there, and the most frustrating thing is to have been so close to getting it yet so far......................................

Veronica Sorley
Mini Star Stud
www.ministarstud.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home