If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Tuesday 18 December 2007

Purple Pony Saga Continues

The DPI Vic returned my call at lunchtime today after leaving 2 messages today and yesterday enquiring about moving a Pony from the Purple Zone in NSW to VIC.
Straight up I was told the ‘border has opened a little bit’ particularly for those horses that have had EI and recovered as those that fit been there done that with EI are classed as the least risk. The been there and done that horses had be held for 3 days in quarantine in NSW and 3 days in quarantine in Vic. I asked what horses have already entered Vic and was told yearlings for the Inglis sales, and today 50 recreational horses that have been held up in NSW since the outbreak.

Now back to my purple pony, as he is vaccinated what does it mean for him? I was told that a vaccinated horse from the purple zone is classed as a higher risk that those who have had EI and recovered, as my pony could shed the virus, as he is a higher risk he would need to be in quarantine for 7 days either side. BUT the problem is there is no quarantine station for my pony both in NSW and VIC as currently Werribee Pk is only an available until the end of December. Naturally I asked how have the horses that have already moved from NSW to VIC bypassed this sticky problem, to be told that Inglis organised the quarantine station in NSW and in VIC and their property has been approved as a quarantine station and this has been checked and passed by the DPI, the other horses were provided with on farm quarantine in NSW (must be assessed, approval and fit the DPIs rules) , and have now gone to Werribee Park. If I want to move my pony I need to find a property that can fit the criteria of the DPIs vigorous risk assessment for quarantine in both NSW and VIC no easy task one would think.

So lets hope with the movement of Thoroughbreds leads to the movement for everyone!!

Jennifer
Vic

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home