If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Monday 14 January 2008

Emma's love of horses pays off

YOUNG South Australian horse rider Emma Plews has used her passion for horses to inspire her to success.

The 21-year-old who has ridden horses for as long as she can remember last night was rewarded at the Equestrian Federation of Australia SA Branch awards.
After enjoying her most successful year to date in 2006, Plews was named the Young Rider Eventing Scholarship winner.
"I am very happy with the year that I have had," Plews said.
"I have been riding against some of Australia's best riders such as Wendy Schaeffer and Megan Jones and I have been able to do quite well against, which has been really pleasing.
"It's nice to be recognised for all of my hard work."
Plews achieved high scores at the state championships and the Mount Gambier Horse Trials, both in April, and the Adelaide Horse Trials in October.
April 2006 was a standout month for Plews as she also placed fourth at the Reynella Horse Trials.
"My horse Alby performed so well in everything I've been in and we were able to work well together," Plews said.
Plews said her love for the sport came from growing up surrounded by horses.
"My grandfather Cecil Plews owned race horses and my dad has always encouraged my sister and myself to ride," she said.
"Basically, it's just the love for the horses and absolutely loving what I do that inspires me to do well. I love that adrenalin rush and getting those rewards for all of that hard work."
Plews, who trains at the States Park Equestrian Centre in the Onkaparinga Hills, gets up at 5am every day to spend at least two hours working the horses.
She is coached by one of Australia's most accomplished riders, dual Olympic gold medallist Gill Rolton.
"Gill has been such a fantastic help and support over the last four years," Plews said.
"It's so good to have someone with those sorts of expertise to work with and be inspired by."
Plews now has her sights on the International Horse Trials in Melbourne in June.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home