If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Tuesday 2 October 2007

CAUGHT IN LIMBO

As a horse owner, I am vigilant in my efforts to keep our horses free fromthe EI, as the virus has spread VERY quickly through our area, TheMinden-Rosewood area has one of the highest amounts of infected propertiesand I expected the worst, every day I thought ,TODAY, today they wouldprobably be infected, thinking that my own BIO-SECURITY process would be invain.

At this very moment they have not shown any signs or symptoms of thevirus, (which is a good thing). So either I am doing the right thing or thevirus has gone around me, past me or over me, infecting all the horses inthe area. Some of these horses are now nearing the end of their infectionand some are over it completely, my question is... WHAT HAPPENSNOW???????????.........

As I am not part of the vaccination program, do I let my horses get infected by a friend’s horse that has it? You see I have fought tooth and nail to keep it off my property ( as we were expected too) but with the understanding that they would be vaccinated against it or they would become eligible for vaccinations later, I have since found that to be untrue, so in the hope that in the mean time they don’t get the virus I was wondering if by delaying it is a sensible idea, with the hot summerweather rapidly approaching, will this make matters worse ? Because fromwhat I believe hot weather can may make horses a lot sicker and put theirhealth at risk of serious illness or worse. I spoke to the DPI & F at thelocal resource centre, they were helpful enough, but beyond what they aretold themselves they are no clearer about the situation regarding horsesthat don’t get infected and because my horses are not part of theThoroughbred racing industry they are not eligible at this point, being apleasure horse in the red zone has its drawbacks. Basically they told me "

THAT I SHOULD WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE BUFFER ZONE IS IN PLACE AND AFTER ALL THE HORSES ARE VACCINATED IN THE ALLOCATED AREA. And to check if I am eligible for the vaccination but as my horses are not high performance horses and I don’t meet the criteria.” This is really not the answer I was hoping for, as I believe that the situation changes every day, and they (the DPI) don’t really fully know themselves. The DPI & F seem tomove the goal posts all the time. So my dilemma is this, I feel that I am ina catch 22 situation, SHOULD I OR SHOULD`NT I bring the virus on to myproperty and let my horses be infected and with treatment let them get itand get over it, sooner rather than later. What would other readers do?Karen

3 Comments:

Blogger Sharky said...

Karen, Our horses have just had it and it was OK, however, they did get very sick. Personally, I would not give it to any animal, as if you do get one that is very sick you can lose your animal. Ours have gone up and down, and are finally coming out of it 14 days later, but we have really watched them closely and done everything to get temps down the minute they go up (bute, washing down where possible, and natural remedies galore). Good luck with your choice, and whatever you choose, don't look back because you are the only one who can take the decision and live with it. And do make up your own mind, because I know the dilema and I really don't envy it.

2 October 2007 at 2:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certainly hope they throw this book squarely at that moron Heathcote for what he did in Hendra!

HEAVY PENALTIES APPLY FOR DELIBERATELY SPREADING EI
People who deliberately spread Equine Influenza (EI) to their own, or any other horses, could
face more than 7 years’ jail and fines of up to $99,000 Victoria’s Acting Chief Veterinary
Officer, Andrew Cameron, said today.
“I am particularly concerned about media reports that prominent owners and breeders in New
South Wales are engaged in a practice known as ‘snotting' or deliberately spreading the virus,”
Dr Cameron said.
“With nearly all newly-infected properties being found within the proclaimed restricted areas in
NSW and Queensland, disease spread is clearly localised and incremental.”
“There is also evidence to show that the epidemic is, in fact, declining in parts of New South
Wales.”
“It is clear the strategy of containment is effective and we all need to work together to ensure
this momentum is maintained”
“I understand police in NSW are already investigating these reports and authorities in Victoria
will also act quickly and to the full extent of the law if similar practices are found here.”
It is an offence for a person to possess the virus or administer it to horses.
“It is vital all people involved in providing services within the horse industry practice good
biosecurity to ensure EI is not inadvertently or deliberately spread,” Dr Cameron said.
“It is also important horse owners ensure service providers follow biosecurity measures when
services are being delivered to their horses.”
Dr Cameron also reminded Victorian horse owners there were no plans to vaccinate every
horse in the state.
“The 50-day Spring Racing Carnival generates nearly $630 million for the Victorian economy
and it will also be the mainstay for punting revenue for most of the country.”
“Vaccination in Victoria will only be available for thoroughbreds as a form of insurance for the
Carnival.”

2 October 2007 at 5:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen

Thanks for the courageous comment of the annonymous, for starters we are not in Victoria or NSW, Our rate of infection is not slowing, nor are our government vaccinating around our infections like they are in NSW, rather leaving the entire south east corner of QLD to fend for themselves whilst high value and racehorses are being vacinated.

Have you noticed that since the weather has warmed up over the last week we are starting to loose horses. I know of 4 dead horses due to EI since the weekend.

I would like to see the legislation that prevents purposeful infection of our own horses in the state of QLD for our DPI is not able to recommend self infection they are not completely rulling it out when aksed. Same for our private vets. It is amazing the releif horse owners are claiming when the dreaded virus arrives at their door.

The DPI is only slowing down the enevitable in South East Qld as they have no plan for erradication of this disease in our corner, they are doing what they can to protect the racing industry and the rest of the state but they cant even attend a sick horse in the south east let alone protect those horses who have not yet been infected.

Biosecurity by the DPI's measure does nothing to prevent the spread of this disease they don't know (by their own admission) what to do one day to the next other than record outbreaks.

Leslee

2 October 2007 at 7:41 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home