If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Monday 1 October 2007

Equine Infuenza

To whom in may concern,

I am a owner / rider / breeder of Arabian horses .I compete inEndurance ,shows & trailride.Horses i have bred or trained have beenexported overseas.My daughter was involved with Pony Club,Campdrafting,trailrides & was about to start endurance this year..My parents also have horses ,my life so far,over 30 yrs, has beenrevolved around horses.Im not a registered business,i dont makemillions of dollars out of horses ,we just love them & enjoy sharinga life with horses.

When my horses inevitably get the virus,which they will as its closing in on us, as much as we followed the bio security measures. I don't have staff to help, I will be looking after all my 13 daily withthe help of my 10 yr old daughter.

I have two young foals here as well as two older horses in their twenties, these are the ones that seem to be most affected .I have two stallions here that will probly miss this season as the mares will most likely abort when they get the virus & stallions apparently become infertile for a specified time if their temp is too high. I did have outside mares coming to them. So my 'valuable'breeding program misses out....

If I have a horse that dies here from the virus I sure as hell won't be paying for vet bills, burials or vaccinations, I'd like to knowwhere to forward these accounts, should this occur !

I am here daily worrying & checking my horses waiting for them to get sick, my daughter is very worried for her old pony, its an awful feeling .I cannot believe this virus escaped from quarantine in the first place. It should not have happened.

As a person that is not involved with racing I strongly object tothe preference being given to thoroughbred interests. Our horses arejust as important.

I would like you to continue to control and eradicate EquineInfluenza in NSW. This is a National program and the control depends on NSWsuccessfully controlling the disease.

I support the idea of buffer zones and strategic vaccination to contain the disease.Though I do believe as we are in a red zone already we won't be offered the vaccine anyway.? If the disease is declared as endemic to Australia, I as arecreational owner, will be forced to vaccinate my horses and that because my horses are not as valuable as a racehorse the cost to me will be proportionally higher.

I dont believe I should be paying for someones mistake. If Governments decide to call off the disease control effort without the support of the majority of horse owners that the Australian Horse Industry Council would be justified in refusing to pay any costs of disease control as required under the Cost Sharing Agreement.

Stop pandering to the thoroughbred lobby. Our 'recreational' horsesmean just as much to us , its not all about money. Might I add 'recreational' horses out number the precious !

Sincerely
J.& G.Curry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know 1st hand how you are feeling,my 11 year old daughters life is revoled around pony club,showjumping,training.We are not registered in any way,vets bills are mounting up.
We have a 30 yr old mare which is in her 4th day of the flu.My daughter was that worried about her she is camping out in her stable to care for her.to our suprise she is handling the flu better then the younger horses her temp only rose once over 39 she is still bright and happy even with all her coughing.I wish you and your daughter all the best

GOD FORBIB I SHOULD GO TO ANY HEAVEN WHERE THERE ARE NO HORSES............

1 October 2007 at 4:24 pm  
Blogger Sharky said...

We are at the end of EI, which literally came up the street! Please be aware that if you do get it, they go up and down, up to day 10 (when secondaries can still occur - our own experience). We have survived, but only through vigilance with temps twice daily! This has in our experience always preceded them going downhill, and bute and antibiotics have worked.
I don't envy your wait, and I do hope that you don't get it, because it really is awful to see them so sick. My 10yo was just wonderful, and the shared bond with both of us worrying is the only real happy note that I will cherish! I agree with your other sentiments! Good luck!!

1 October 2007 at 6:54 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home