If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Wednesday 3 October 2007

A MEMBER OF THE FAMILY

This should be about Horses, NOT making money.

Why is it that the Government believes that because racehorses make more money than most other horses that they are worth more?

I am 17 and my family's 3 horses (who are all young) are all stabled, healthy (at the moment) and are given the best feed to keep them in the best condition. They are un-rugged and re-rugged everyday, worked weekly and more importantly given the chance to just be horses. Off the top of my head I can name every scratch, every bump and every time one of my horses have been sick - Can all the Melbourne Cup owner's do that? Probably Not. You'd have to ask one of 12 people they have taking care of the horse to find these things out. My problem with the Government and Racing Industries is that they don't see what Show/Recreational horse owners see - A MEMBER OF THE FAMILY. We don't expect them to do anything incredible for the sake of a dollar. We show them but only cause we think they're worth it - not because we expect something back. They're Athletes yes, but that does not mean they need to be worked into the ground. Besides what happens to a racehorse once it comes of the track? Most of them find good homes with the "NON-RACING" crowd and become a show pony's best buddie.

I personally don't think (like most owners) that there's a horse or pony that can compare to my family's 3 boys. But that's the way us show/recreational people see them. Be it a Shetland or a Warmblood - there's no one faster, stronger, smarter or cuter than your own.

So all I ask it that people understand it's not about getting back to shows or whatever it is you do with your horse, this is about protecting the members of our family who trust us to take of them.

Thank youEmma.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Emma
I totally agree with you, my two boys mean the world to me, they are my best mates, It brings a tear to my eyes when I think about the big business with the TB racing industry, mark my words you watch them take a back peddle andthrow their greedy little hands in the air after the first Tuesday in November.....You watch they will say they have tried and its too much we cant contain it,,,go ahead and move. I`ll eat my hat if i`m wrong....Hope your horses do well...I dont have it as yet but I`m in the red zone...
cheers karen

3 October 2007 at 7:03 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home