If you have a story to share or comment to make, simply email blogEI@horsedeals.com.au (To ensure your submission is posted please include your full name.)

Wednesday 10 October 2007

Re-doggers & EI vaccinated horses... horse shows.

In reference to the previous message regarding the extra cost associated with not being able to send a vaccinated horse to the sales to become dog food,
- that is fine, maybe people will start to take more responsibility for over breeding.
-
This flu will sort a few out, just think of the souls that are being saved from not being created to be born to be slaughtered in a knackery, that’s the reality especially in the TB industry, which is so “cut throat” , I’ve worked in that industry, it’s just awful what I saw in such a short time…..mares that won’t go in foal, injured, not fast enough, bad confirmation…off to the saleyard then to the knackers…..convenience & that last $.
Great if you’re a race winner, but after that who knows, not many owners want them even after they’ve won heaps & are no longer any use.

I would vaccinate without hesitation, even if it made a prospective buyer lose interest, you’d know where their priorities lie.
To those whom will complain about the extra costs of home euthanasia & burial, well.. that’s easy, don’t have horses, huge unexpected vet bills etc. are all part of owning any animal, especially the horse.

-In reference to pet food, I buy lower grade mince from my local butcher and make up a healthy batch of food for my dogs, I don’t like feeding them horses, it’s cheaper & I know what’s in it.

ON THE CANCELLED EVENTS - who cares about shows, events etc??? .. I do between 15 & 25 shows each year, I’d rather go without a ribbon / trophy to have my horses safe & well, I’m lucky at this point being in Victoria not to be suffering the heartbreak that others are facing losing a mare, a foal an old faithful equine friend.
I’m not missing anything if there’s nothing to go to… I have horses prepared & ready to go out, but my show entries keep being returned.
Maybe there won’t be any shows until late next year, that could be the reality.
I’m saving bucket loads of petrol money, & getting heaps done around the farm this spring, which is unusual.
I can still spend time with my horses and enjoy the lifestyle owning them brings.

HOWEVER, I AM FURIOUS that that race sector is not locking down with us, just proves what a selfish industry it really is…!
we should be all in lockdown for 6 – 8 weeks with a no warnings $10,000 fine for any off property horse movements- with strictly no exceptions,
That’s what should have been done at the very beginning & we may be nearly back to normal without any horses dying & the precious SPRING RACING CARNIVAL may not be under so much pressure.

Get rid of this government they are hopeless; JOHN HOWARD your out of touch, one step too far behind, time is catching up with you.
this household votes as do our NON-HORSEY friends & relatives, so please remember word of mouth is the best form of advertising………………………..

We need a government whom will respond instantly to BIO threats, the terrorists must think Australia is a very soft target now…couldn’t even control a horse flu???
Charly – Victoria

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Said. back you 100%

10 October 2007 at 3:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly.I to show ponies and as i said to my husband it will do them good to have a season off, for buggered if i am going to take them to a show this season, if there is even the remotest chance of getting the EI.
Megan Young.Skye.

11 October 2007 at 10:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Said... We have been locked down for 2 months with no end in site. Another few with an end in site is an excellent idea.

11 October 2007 at 11:11 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home